Production Schedule is a detailed timeline-based plan of activities for managing and allocating resources, events and processes to create a desired outcome (goods and services). It aims to balance production needs with available resources (funds, tools, HR, time) while ensuring cost-effectiveness of the manufacturing process.
A typical production schedule includes a plan of necessary jobs placed on a timeline and assigned to manufacturing personnel. Such a plan specifies the time each job starts and completes in each production area. It refers to the total amount of financial and material resources required to produce desired output. Production schedule can be also used to plan job rotation schemes and develop shift timetables.
Production schedule helps answers the following questions:
- What resources do we have available?
- Which resources are best to use to run certain activities?
- When to start and finish every job planned?
- How and when to do next jobs?
- How to reach cost-effectiveness when performing scheduled jobs?
- How do employees collaborate?