Process Gap Analysis is a needs assessment technique that helps determine the steps to be taken in moving a given process from a current state to a desired future state. This technique focuses on assessing process needs to investigate what problems are to be solved, what factors cause the problems, and what performance gaps exist and need to be filled for reaching necessary resolution. The purpose of process gap analysis is to determine if there is a need to implement process improvements.
The analysis aims to complete the following goals:
- Enhance process decision making and problem solving
- Reach higher involvement of people concerned with the process
- Collect and refine needs through careful examination and prioritization
- Develop the rationale for a process improvement project
Process gap analysis is a consistent activity that involves the following 5 steps:
- Describe the current state of a process
- Forecast the future state of this process
- Determine problems that block necessary process transitions
- Develop solutions
- Highlight improvement needs to be satisfied.