Process Issue is a point of discussion or controversy that involves the parties in taking affirmative and negative positions regarding some ambiguous event or activity that happens within a given process. It generates a presentation of alternatives that the parties should consider to decide which of the proposed alternatives best fits process requirements. The best alternative will be the optimal way to solve the issue.
The procedure of managing process issues is called process issue management. This procedure aims to determine an issue and find a solution. Effective issue management means that an issue as regarded as:
- An opportunity for improvement a process.
- The difference between current state and goals of a process.
The ultimate goal of managing a process issue is to determine whether the issue is an improvement opportunity or signifies the gap between current state and expectations.
There are 6 key steps to perform process issue management. These steps are:
- Identify issues of a process.
- Document identified issues in a log.
- Generate alternative solutions (alternatives).
- Choose the best alternative.
- Resolve the issues by using the alternative.