Process Strategy is a long-term plan of action that describes a certain process, explores its goals and specifies how to bring about a desired outcome related to this process. It explains what resources are available and how to best use them to achieve the outcome within fixed time-frames.
Strategy determines the best possible way to implement a process under certain assumptions and constraints. It specifies the process’s potential and recognizes the process’s impact on surrounding environment. In business, process strategies are used to plan for successful delivery of defined business goals such as competitive advantage, sales increase, turnover reduction, others.
Development of process strategy involves the following general activities:
- Definition of process objectives
- Definition of process inputs
- Assessment of process resources available for meeting process objectives
- Description of process outputs
- Specification of high-level scenarios that explain how to use resources to transform inputs into outputs
- Specification of process requirements that direct and limit use of process resources.