Project Data Management is a specific process which embraces all spheres and types of working contacts and business communications between the project team members, stakeholders, managers, and sponsors, including collection, systematization and accessing of the project data. In other words this process means establishing appropriate facilities and frameworks to let the project participants operating the project information in a civilized and effective manner.
Project data management is a collection of methodologies and ad-hoc solutions allowing the project managers to plan, regulate, control, and effectively orchestrate the project communicative channels delivering information between different project units, people, departments, functions, etc.
Project data management is about:
- Setting up the project databases and IT systems to operate and protect the data;
- Deploying facilities to access and manage the project data, such as individual workstations;
- Establishing security rules and confidentiality agreements to protect information;
- Enacting collaborative rules to create effective environment for the data management;
- Controlling whether the data is properly used and secured from unauthorized access;