Project Overview is a document that is used to familiarize new team members or new stakeholders with a project, or to maintain public awareness and education on this project. That’s why a project’s overview should be brief and comprehensive, not intricate in terminology and easy-to-grasp. While creating a project overview document you should keep in mind its purpose: if you need it to orient a new employee, then you should focus on aspects which are important to his role and position, and if this overview is intended for external users, then you should add more of general information.
Project overview may include the following paragraphs:
- Description of the problems which the project addresses;
- Definition of the project goals and mission – why this project exists;
- Outline of the project scope – a concise description of the work content;
- Description of the project methodology used to hit the defined goals;
- Information about the project organization and current team members (this makes sense when you need to orient a new employee);
- Some key project assumptions that a new team member should understand before jumping into actual work;