Project Preparation is an attempt to identify and define project work (rough goals and objectives) and to establish an efficient decision making process for managing further planning and development of the project. It is a sub-phase of the Initiation phase to check and evaluate certain preconditions for appropriateness before the project is allowed for moving to the Planning stage.
Preparation sub-phase comes after identification sub-phase which aims to define a problem and select the most feasible solution to that problem. Project preparation can be also regarded as a process that aims to complete the following tasks:
- Conceptualize the project
- Establish goals and objectives
- Issue Project Charter
- Outline an implementation strategy
- Develop preliminary cost estimates
- Identify possible risks
- Define roles and responsibilities
- Select and appoint the project team
- Carry out the kickoff meeting
The process is oriented towards developing a project organizational structure that is based on business drivers, project resources, and potential benefits.