Project Request Form is a standardized document that specifies some basic information about a given project to engage the senior management in reviewing the project data and making a decision on whether to proceed with the project. The document is used as a means of initiating the project and launching the key processes, such as planning, change management, risk analysis, staffing etc.
A standard request form for a project provides information that helps review, select and approve the project. Here’re the key elements of the form:
- Basic details: goals, time limits, deliverables
- Ownership information: who invests funds in the project and owns the results to be produced by the project
- Resource requirements: what amount of financial, human and non-human resources is required
- Priority considerations: what activities are required to be performed and in what sequence
- Cost projection: an estimate of costs required for delivering the project
Using project request forms increases consistency of the variance management process and ensures that all necessary information is collected and considered for further decision making. Request forms contributes to more accurate allocation of available project resources and thereby optimization of the overall project management process.