Project Stakeholder is a person or an entity, whether from inside or outside of an organization establishing a project, who or which is interested in project performance or owns a project, and is involved into decision-making and project benefits sharing. One project of any scale may have a quite big and diverse team of the stakeholders, including:
- Project sponsor represented by a sole customer or people who represent certain organization and its managerial and functional layers.
- Project manager who is professionally interested in successful completion of a project.
- Project shareholders – investors and financiers who share profits and financial risks.
- Project team members and community with different types and levels of interests.
The role of a project stakeholder involves:
- Sponsoring and championing the project.
- Being interested in successful completion of a project.
- Having power to influence the project planning, execution and acceptance.