Project Supervisor is a person in the first-line management who is in charge of monitoring and regulating task performance of employees involved in projects. This person is authorized to recommend and effect recruiting, disciplining, training, promoting, rewarding, punishing, and other associated activities that are related to project personnel.
A good project supervisor has a thorough understanding of assigned projects and company policies and guidelines in order to figure out how to best monitor and control performance of project staff. This person delegates, appoints and organizes employee tasks in a way that ensures higher team performance and closer collaboration. Project supervisor typically reports only to high-level managers.
In a conventional project, supervisor is in charge of:
- Appointing employees who have adequate training, knowledge, experience
- Assigning, delegating and monitoring employee tasks
- Ensuring performance and teamwork
- Resolving conflicts between team members
- Ensuring employee safety and health
- Retaining and training employees
- Reporting on team performance to senior management.