Project Template is any kind of organizational documents or electronic artifacts which minimize efforts of project managers by providing them with a framework that helps them to get started faster with new, but typical yet projects. Using a template greatly economizes time and resources of the project team as they do not need to invest into inventing everything from the very beginning, but templates allow them to recognise the established methods, approaches and structures regardless of which project they are working on. Project templates may have appearance of checklists, forms, or any other documents that direct the project team members, and narrow scope of things they need to consider on the project (making focus on changeable and variable elements of a project).
The whole project template usually consists of:
- Description of the project flow: project phases, tasks, deliverables, decision points, etc;
- Project Roles: their competencies and responsibilities;
- Templates of the project documentation to reduce time for recomposing it;
- Checklists on specifications, supportive documentation, etc;
- Project plan: WBS, PBS, Schedule, etc;