Project Trends is a term having two different understandings, let’s define them both:
- Project Trends are different dynamically occurring and changing features (tendencies, fashions, theories, etc) that accompany development of the Project Management discipline. Project trends are responses of project management community to ever changing specifics of modern economy and business reality, achievements of technology, social matters and so on. Their importance is great, so every successful project manager should know them, here are some:
- Domination of IT (computers and communication);
- Increasing relevance of PMO (Project Management Office);
- Deficit of qualified and skillful employees/administrators;
- Less time for decision-making and analysis;
- A more challenging landscape of risks and uncertain factors;
- Project Trends are certain tendencies and variances in cost and schedule performance. They are derived and analyzed through using mathematical techniques and a project’s historical results to predict future outcomes: for example it can be necessary for project managers to calculate how a deceleration at certain task will impact the whole project’s schedule performance and whether it can lead to a more serious schedule delay.