Schedule Attainment is an ability of a production (a working unit, project team, etc) to execute a plan: match the schedule of production or delivery to gradually produce certain amount of output according to a contracted plan, and to meet expectancies of the customers and corporate strategy. In a big number of successful business organizations a rate of Schedule Attainment, being one of the primal business objectives and success measures, is continually controlled and improved (through a complex of specific approaches), so in ideal it steadily reaches 100%, which means that production stays on the schedule without any underrun (necessary products are delivered on-time).
In order to reach success with Schedule Attainment a company needs to:
- Have a production or project schedule approved and implemented;
- Control where they are against the schedule regularly (to check daily schedule attainment);
- Recognize obstacles which may endanger the schedule attainment, and eliminate them;
- Do all the jobs right the first time (a defective work cannot be sent to the next operation, and a rework minimizes the chances to attain a schedule);
- Optimize the working processes to decrease overall timing on the working cycle (reorganizing and modernization of the business processes);