Schedule Bidding is an administrative process carried out within an organization to bid on preferred shifts, employee rotations and day-offs and then develop a work schedule that complies with labor rules and requirements stated in the organization. This process aims to reduce administrative time and costs spent on workforce scheduling, improve employee productivity, cut down expenses associated with overtime and premium pay, and enhance communications between workforce and senior management.
The primary goal of the schedule bidding process is to free up management's valuable time while ensuring that employees are scheduled efficiently. The process also allows reaching the following goals:
- Work schedules are aligned with employee coverage demands
- Employee satisfaction is boosted by self-scheduling and choice of preferred shifts
- Correct coverage is ensured
- Employee overtime and premium pay scenarios are avoided
- Managers are given final approval of employee calendars and schedules
- Possible wage law violations are detected
- Effective communications between employees and senior management are established.