Scheduled Time for a Project is an amount of time that is defined by the project schedule to state the total time period for which project development is planned. It shows how long the project will be performed to step through all events and activities placed on the schedule to produce desired outcomes and accomplish preset goals and objectives.
Any project that has been approved for initiation and startup has some amount of scheduled time that helps project participants figure out the time constraint and define milestones and status checks. Scheduled time serves as one of the basic parameters to estimate the rest of the project constraints (cost, quality and scope), make assumptions, analyze risks, and do other steps that constitute the project management process.
In order to calculate an amount of scheduled time for a project the following stages should be performed:
- Make a rough estimate of total project time
- Determine activity durations
- Estimate phase durations (based on the project phasing plan)
- Develop a project timeline
- Place milestones (special events dedicated to status checking) on the timeline
- Develop a drafted schedule.