Task Analysis is a systematic examination and evaluation of information about a certain task by dividing this information into multiple components or pieces to uncover their interrelationships and understand cause-effect rapport between them, thereby providing a basis for problem solving and decision making. It helps get insight into task content to determine what makes task success and to reduce the number and frequency of task errors/failure.
Analyzing a task means making an attempt to describe elemental behaviors of one or more individuals involved in performing the task and to prevent possible errors or failure. This attempt is needed for an in-depth understanding of employee task management.
A manager trying to analyze employee tasks needs to take the following steps:
- Explore task goals and objectives
- Specify tasks and sub-tasks being performed
- Review HR assigned to tasks
- Describe knowledge types required for HR to do tasks
- Determine the best options for task prioritization and sequencing
- Select appropriate learning and training environments
- Run performance assessment and evaluation
- Determine ways for reducing or eliminating errors.