Understanding project management key terms and using special PM software are two basic requirements that you need to meet when building a successful project manager’s career. Once you get involved in planning and managing projects you will see that following project management key responsibilities requires a clear understanding of project management fundamentals so that you will feel free and confident when using key terms and communicating with project stakeholders.
In this connection, there are several key terms that you should know when learning the fundamentals of PM. Let’s briefly review these terms:
- Project is a planned sequence of tasks and processes directed toward achieving a goal.
- Goal is a desired outcome produced during or/and at the end of a project.
- Task is a series of steps required to complete a project.
- Resources are people, equipment, facilities, etc.
- Milestone is an event within a project that signifies the completion of a task, goal, or a group of related tasks.
- Parameters are specified variables of a project, such as costs, scope, duration, quality, etc.
In the literature on PM you can find more PM terms and read about PM key concepts.
Besides learning key principles and terms, you should use PM software that lets you implement your ideas and manage your project activities. You can try VIP Task Manager to plan, perform, track and measure projects and exchange project data. This PM software allows using to-do lists, templates, schedules, checklists and tasks to organize projects and plan activities of project management key areas. VIP Task Manager supports user collaboration and information sharing allowing your project team to work as a single mechanism when performing tasks of your project.
- Use Internet to find websites about project management and learn key concepts. Make a list of such websites.
- Use VIP Task Manager to plan your learning process and design a to-do list that includes tasks to discover PM fundamentals and improve your key skills.
- When you plan your new project, use Task Tree of VIP Task Manager to design task hierarchies for the project and define levels of the project’s structure.
- When you track your project’s progress, use Task List of VIP Task Manager to filter, sort and group project tasks and to-do lists.