Project management duration definition: it is a period of time when efforts of the project manager and other team members are applied to manage essential processes and matters of the project to accomplish it successfully. Let’s consider some assumptions on this topic:
- Project duration and work – duration of the project is implicitly connected to the amount of work which needs to be performed during the project to reach its primary and secondary goals. While the project’s duration is a timeframe of the project (time between formal start and finish dates), the duration of project’s work can be calculated as a sum of durations of all tasks that should be done on the project to accomplish it (this tasks can be performed in many parallels, so their overall time lenght will significantly exceed the actual duration of the project).
- time – during the entire project’s duration, different operations with time should be carried out to handle this resource properly. For example:
- estimation – the process of approximate measuring time (employing certain accuracy) that is required to accomplish certain tasks. It is performed by competent experts reasoning from a variety of factors.
- compression – the process of optimizing the working time and wise allocation of workloads over the schedule. It means that the project managers coordinate and schedule tasks in a manner allowing paralleling their performance and avoiding idle time of working resources.
- calculation – when the project is at work, it is important to control how well the time is being utilized, so no serious schedule overruns can appear. It is necessary for project managers to collect data on time use, so they can calculate actual durations of work against planned parameters.
VIP Task Manager is a program that allows you to use these methods in business or professional activities, as it is real-time teamwork software for planning, controlling and analyzing your time and tasks on the projects of different kinds.
To plan and analyze your project time – do the following:
- start your project planning software;
- set a suitable time management technique and ideas;
- prioritize your tasks;
- plan and schedule tasks and arrangements in terms of costs, time, etc;
- control performance parameters;