Estimating task duration can be a real challenge that can cause failure of your project because in case task durations are estimated in the wrong way your team will delay the project’s delivery. That’s why it’s important to conduct correct estimations and make necessary calculations of working time.
There are various methods for estimating task duration. Here’re the most popular ones:
- Estimation by Due Date. When you plan tasks you set due dates per task so that duration will be calculated as subtraction between actual start date and preset due date.
Formula: Duration = Due Date – Start Date.
- Estimation by Completion Date. This method assumes that you need to set estimated completion date for tasks at the project beginning and then calculate total duration per task by subtracting actual completion date and actual start date.
Formula: Duration = Completion Date – Start Date.
In VIP Task Manager you can use both methods. This task management software features the Custom Fields functionality that allows creating user-defined fields for estimating task duration.
- Start VIP Task Manager, log in your database and create new tasks.
- Go to Tools – Custom Fields and create new fields for using in task duration estimates. For example, it can be "Duration".
- Use the abovementioned formulas in your custom fields to calculate task duration.