Project Task Breakdown (also called WBS, or work decomposition) is a practice of creating a hierarchical structure (representation) of interconnected project deliverables or tasks that need to be performed to accomplish a project. It shows the scope of work decomposed from general to specific matters. Correctly composed breakdown gives a clear-cut work scope overlook and better understanding of activities to be done.
There are two formats: Activity-oriented and Deliverable-oriented, where the first one means a work breakdown in terms of verbs (assignable actions or tasks) and the second one is a nouns-based way (products and sub-products of the project). The practice of task breakdown appears vitally important, because the following purposes are covered in projects:
- WBS assists on developing a rational view of resources and labor required to accomplish the job (the amount, scope and character of work demanded);
- It helps to understand the skills, qualifications and experience required;
- It provides a framework for assigning clear-cut work definitions (work packages) to the project participants;
- It assists on determining the inter-dependencies between project tasks or deliverables;
- It gives the basis for scheduling the actual project milestones (enables composing a schedule);
- It locates isolated functional areas for determination and managing connected project risks;
VIP Task Manager is designed to help you in managing projects and tasks within your team. This application can be used to decompose projects into smaller tasks and deliverables.
To breakdown the project into smaller tasks – do the following:
- start your project planning software;
- use Task Tree mode to set a suitable layout of project task groups (ex: by project stages);
- prioritize team tasks and add instructions on how to perform them;
- plan tasks in terms of priorities, costs, target dates, etc;
- assign tasks to performers and supervise execution in real-time regime;